82, a winner-take-all affair, to secure their spot. For Bednar, it was one of his team’s best performances of the season

Поздравляем! Ваш новый форум создан.
Самое время войти на Ваш форум под зарегистрированным именем и затем войти в "административный раздел" (ссылка внизу), чтобы настроить форум по своему вкусу.
elaine95

82, a winner-take-all affair, to secure their spot. For Bednar, it was one of his team’s best performances of the season

Сообщение elaine95 » 15 мар 2019, 08:59

DENVER (AP) — It was Jameson Taillon for Pittsburgh and Chad Bettis for Colorado on Tuesday night at Coors Field.An intersection with special significance.Taillon beat Bettis in a matchup of pitchers who battled testicular cancer last year Authentic Alexander Wennberg Jersey , and the Pirates hit three homers in a 10-2 victory over the Rockies.“I’m not going to sit here and say we’re best friends and we talk on the phone all the time but we’ve both gone through something that is extremely similar and we both go through something similar starting pitching in the major leagues,” Taillon said. “There’s an understood bond there, something we’ll share for life.”Taillon (9-8) allowed 10 hits in his second complete game of the season. The 26-year-old right-hander struck out three and walked one, helping the Pirates stop a three-game slide.He became the first visiting pitcher to toss a nine-inning complete game in Denver since Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw shut out the Rockies on July 2, 2013.“I’ve watched 1,300, 1,400 ballgames here, you don’t see a lot of complete games,” said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle, who managed the Rockies over eight seasons. “He finished strong.”Taillon threw 107 pitches, 70 for strikes. He needed just 15 to get the final three outs in his second career complete game.“You always hear closing out games is tough, weird things happen in the ninth so I told myself it’s a 0-0 game Artemi Panarin Jersey , let’s close out this inning,” Taillon said.Starling Marte hit a solo drive in the first and Jordy Mercer connected for a three-run shot against Bettis (5-2) with two out in the fourth. Josh Harrison capped Pittsburgh’s five-run fifth with a two-run homer off Jake McGee.Bettis allowed nine runs and eight hits over 4 2/3 innings in his first start after missing five weeks with a blister on his right middle finger.“The problem was those two walks in the fourth and the home run by Mercer,” Bettis said. “It really came down to those three at-bats where I didn’t really execute the pitches like I wanted to.”Taillon was diagnosed with cancer last year and missed six weeks after surgery last May.Bettis was diagnosed in November 2016. He was cleared to report to spring training before tests revealed he had cancer in his lymph nodes and he underwent treatment. He made his season debut on Aug. 14 and started nine games last year.Colorado made it 10-2 on Carlos Gonzalez’s two-run double with one out in the sixth.REMEMBERING DONTuesday marked the one-year anniversary of the death of former Rockies manager Don Baylor. Baylor was Colorado’s first manager and held that position for six seasons. He gave Hurdle his first job on a major league staff.“I’m forever grateful,” Hurdle said. “There’s times during the season or other times I’ll remember things he did or things he said that resonate, that have meaning. There’s still enough people within the game that I’ll see from time to time that we were connected. His spirit lives.”ARRIVALShortstop Adeiny Hechavarria joined the Pirates in time for Tuesday’s win. His plane landed at Denver International Airport at around 5 p.m. local time and made it to Coors Field 25 minutes before the first pitch.He was acquired Monday in a trade with Tampa Bay.CENTURY MARKRockies star Charlie Blackmon singled in the sixth inning for his 1,000th career hit. He received a short standing ovation from the crowd.TRAINER’S ROOMPirates: INF Sean Rodriguez was placed on the 10-day DL – retroactive to Monday – with a strain to the left abdomen.UP NEXTPittsburgh right-hander Chris Archer (3-5, 4.40 ERA) will make his second start since he was acquired in a trade with the Rays. He will face Rockies right-hander German Marquez (9-8, 4.70 ERA) in the series finale on Wednesday. DENVER (AP) Nathan MacKinnon was given a day off from practice, which created a little stir on social media.Turns out, nothing to fear. The Colorado Avalanche just wanted to give their top scorer and Hart Trophy candidate a little rest Monday before embarking on the postseason.Not many gave this team much of a chance to make the playoffs at the beginning of the year. Understandably so considering they were coming off a 48-point season. But here the Avalanche are, about to face the top-seeded Predators in the first round beginning Thursday in Nashville.Colorado is rested, rejuvenated and carries a surge of momentum after needing to win its final game to secure its first postseason spot since 2013-14.”We expect a lot from our group and know we can surprise a lot of people,” said captain Gabriel Landeskog Cam Atkinson Jersey Kids , whose team finished the regular season with 95 points and matched the franchise record for wins at home with 28. ”This is when the fun begins.”The type of turnaround the team has made doesn’t happen that often in the NHL world. The last time it occurred over an 82-game season was when Pittsburgh also improved by 47 points from 2005-06 (58) to `06-07 (105).”We didn’t expect this in October, but as the season progressed our confidence grew and grew,” MacKinnon said recently after finishing with 39 goals and 58 assists to wind up fifth in scoring. ”For the last month we expected to make the playoffs. For it to actually happen is very satisfying.”The turning point for coach Jared Bednar was in early December, when his squad wrapped up a 1-4 homestand. A similar thing happened a year earlier and it sent the team into an unrecoverable downward spiral.This time, it was different. The Avs found some traction and at the end of the month began a streak of 10 straight wins.”The way (the players) handled that and responded there … starts making you a believer,” Bednar said. ”At that point, it became pretty clear we weren’t the same group and we’d push to the end of this thing.”Still, they needed a 5-2 win over St. Louis in game No. 82, a winner-take-all affair, to secure their spot. For Bednar, it was one of his team’s best performances of the season.”I want our guys to have fun, embrace it and enjoy it,” Bednar said. ”But I want us to dig in and be highly competitive.”Colorado will be without two key players for this series – defenseman Erik Johnson and goaltender Semyon Varlamov http://www.bluejacketsshoponline.com/authentic-david-savard-jersey , who are both sidelined by knee injuries. Not only that, but the team has struggled this season against the Predators, going 0-3-1 and being outscored by a 17-8 margin.”It’s not going to be an easy series. But if you want to get farther, you have to beat the best team and we start with the best team,” goaltender Jonathan Bernier said.Avalanche players Colin Wilson, Gabriel Bourque and Samuel Girard all stepped up at a recent meeting and chatted about their ties with Nashville. They offered a little insight into the team they’re about to face.”They all had some good things to say about their personnel,” Bednar said. ”We have a lot of input from those guys.”The Avalanche relish in the fact that just a year ago Nashville was the second wild-card team in the Western Conference and advanced all the way to the Stanley Cup final. They wouldn’t mind following that sort of path.”It’s possible. It’s the playoffs. Anything can happen,” Landeskog said. ”It’s just a matter of taking it one day at a time, enjoying the journey and making sure you bring your best game at the best time.”Bednar was asked if he thought there might be concerns over his team being content to merely be in the playoffs.”They’re a hungry group. They want more,” Bednar said. ”I don’t mind being the underdog. It’s a good spot for our team. We’ve been feeling that way all year long, that we were an underdog to get into the playoffs. We’re here.”—

Вернуться в «Первый форум»